Tuesday, July 14, 2009

BIO-RHYTHM

This year I’ve been writing for the Just for Laughs website (www.hahaha.com), condensing the comedians’ bios to 140-word capsules. An early one I wrote was for the legendary John Cleese. I was asked to rewrite it on the quite understandable grounds that it was a bit hard to follow. That’s ‘cause I wrote it as a tribute to John Cleese’s great Word Association Football monologue on Monty Python’s Flying Circus. It’s an obscure piece (but probably on Youtube somewhere) so it was sensible to assume that most people wouldn’t have gotten the reference. So I wrote a more conventional bio which is up on the site.

But because I’d really like it up on the net somewhere, I now present my original bio, in exactly 140 words, for one of my all-time personal comedy heroes, John Cleese.

And if you don’t get it, that’s perfectly understandable in a china shop.


John Cleese

John Cleese rose to prominence as one of the stars of Monty Python’s Flying Circus where he created such memorable works as the Ministry of Silly Walks, the Dead Parrot Sketch and Word Association Football, a personal favorite of ours and hours of fun. John went onward Christian soldier to develop a successful of himself sitcom down that showed his writing and acting craft macaroni and cheese to be professional to a Fawlty Towers. In the 80’s glam rock he received an Oscar the grouch nomination for the screenplay ball for “A Fish Called Wanda”’s gentleman’s club on Mountain and Maisonneuve (ask for Chantal). An iconic of time figure in comedy, John Cleese continues to perform of the word all over the world leaders and keeps inspiring actors and writers to this very daylight come and me wanna go home.