Friday, November 24, 2006

TOUR PROGRESSES PAINFULLY

But that pain appears to be subsiding. After some swell shows in Calgary, a quite rip-roaring little romp in the far-away hamlet of Vermilion and a cozy arrival amongst family in Coaldale, Alberta, I came down with one of the most vile sore throats in recent history. From Sunday to Tuesday I was wincing with every gag of saliva while an infected tonsil raged without pity. Tuesday night I did my show in Lethbridge and, to my amazement, was able to forget the pain and just plow through a respectable amount of jokes and asides. Once it was over I was deeply relieved, even as I felt the pain returning to pick up where it left off (nice of it to wait 'til I was "off the clock").

I'm on my fourth day of antibiotics now and am feeling much better. I hosted a show here in Calgary last night and the pain is almost gone. Cheerios are no longer a gauntlet of jagged throwing stars and chocolate milk flows free and easy without the narrow passage through golf-ball glands.

Much thanks to Aunt Debby and Uncle Frank to providing much warmth and support and soup, enabling this welcome recovery.

Tonight I go to celebrate my rejuvenation in a town whose very name smacks of rebirth and fresh beginnings.

Wish me luck in 'Olds'.