Sunday, September 10, 2006

SELF-INDULGENT DRIVEL, COMING RIGHT UP

When I started the davidpryde.com website, I decided to go ahead and attach a blog mainly to have a convenient place to post new show dates, as well as a simple place to add links. Whereas with the other pages I rely on a webmaster to make changes, with clips and scripts and what have you, this area is something I could update easily.

When I mentioned the word 'blog' to some friends, they immediately jumped to the conclusion that this would be another of those sites filled with inane insights about politics or spirituality, or the day-to-day dramas that no one could possibly care about besides the person churning out this crap. And I decided then and there that "no, this would be purely about practical stuff, cd news, where gigs are, where I'm going to be, none of this personal airing-out-of-laundry to smell up the cyber-hood."

Well, time has passed, and I'm antsy, and I'm rethinking it, and why the hell not?

Seems to me I've got this space, and not to have some fun with it is tantamount to souping up a car with a cutting-edge sound-system and then cruising the block blaring "Psalms as Read by Jeff Goldblum".

And it's awkward analogizing like that which I should be allowed to belch out every once in a while when the mood grabs me.

Is it self-indulgent? Sure. But seeing as how I'm supposed to be a writer, it'll be a way to keep my brain in shape, exercising muscles beyond straight-up jokes and what-not. And if the writing improves, that'll trickle down to my work onstage, or behind the tv cameras, or in some other aspect that'll help my career. So even if no one's reading this but me, the public will likely benefit somewhere down the line in the form of inspired comedy tidbits baked from the amorphous dough of these musings and freshly pulled from my crackly skull-oven for mass consumption.

And there will still be the practical updates as well. I'm not abandoning blandness cold turkey.

So that's it. Welcome to a new era in my blogger life, as I boldly explore the road more travelled. We'll see if it makes a difference.