Monday, April 03, 2006

DAVID PRYDE, RAP BATTLER, AN ELABORATION

First of all, I'm pleased to say I had some very pleasant experiences performing at benefits in Stittsville and Whitby, Ontario, as well as a fun show for the people who work at Alcatel in Kanata, who make phone parts and, as it turns out, a highly addictive snack mix.

The rap battle show is being held on TUESDAY APRIL 18TH at the JUST FOR LAUGHS CABARET. It's an experimental format whereby comedians will compete against each other, doing prepared material, and then, in the really interesting part, they'll be asked to spend a brief intermission preparing three minutes of material on a topic that they are given right after the first round. It's a really hard thing to do jokes under the gun like that and it's entirely likely that the audience will be treated to minutes of awkward waffling punctuated by sharp bursts of from-left-field genius. At any rate, the show will be hosted by international headliner Steve Patterson, so any lulls will be temporary at the most. I think it will be lots of fun, or excruciating, but either way I'm looking forward to it. So far acts include me, TV's Mike Paterson, Scott Faulconbridge and more acts that I'll mention when I get more details. I just realized that the show has extremely little to do with rapping, so my bad, which is what some rappers say.

Happy Birthday to my brother Scott Pryde, who I'm hoping is somewhere reading his new 70's Avengers reprints while trimming his ears.