Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Greetings! Welcome to the landmark first entry in the David Pryde blog, a spin-off of the landmark new website www.davidpryde.com. The main purpose of this page is to keep people informed as to my stand-up schedule, updates to the content of the website, and upcoming events like my new comedy cd which just needs to be packaged before being available to the public.

That schedule, at the moment, reads as follows:

March 2-4, 2006: Comedyworks in Montreal (514-398-9661), with Al Lubel
March 23-25, 2006: Time to Laugh in Kingston (613-542-5233), with Bob Keele and Roy Daye
March 29, 2006: Alcatel Headquarters in Kanata, Ontario (private show), with Terry McGurrin and Wafik Nasralla
March 31, 2006: Stittsville Community Centre (613-774-2006), with Rick Currie and Alastair McAlastair
April 1, 2006: Heydenshore Pavilion in Whitby, Ontario (905-668-1262), with Fred Proia and Alex Nussbaum
April 21-22, 2006: Yuk Yuks in Windsor (519-256-5233), with Scott Faulconbridge and Jon Dore
April 29, 2006: Benefit for WICAC (West Island Crusade Against Cancer)
in Montreal, with Bowser and Blue
August 16-20. 2006: Headlining at Yuk Yuks in Toronto

Plus frequent appearances at the following (to confirm if I’m on the show it is recommended to call in advance on Mondays and on weekends):

Mondays: Wide Open Mike Night at the Comedyworks in Montreal (514-398-9661)
Tuesdays and Wednesdays: On the Spot Improv Madness at the Comedyworks in Montreal (514-398-9661)
Fridays and Saturdays: Ernie Butler’s Comedynest in Montreal (514-932-6378)

Aside from the schedule page, most of the updates will probably mostly happen in the [clips crypt]. Every couple of weeks I hope to add something to this collection of clips featuring rough, silly or strange comedy bits that I have tried out over the years. Most of the jokes are pretty straight forward, while some of the clips reflect a desire to push the envelope on certain topics, usually from an ironic take, with varying degrees of success. It’s a good chance to look at an ever-evolving stand-up act, always eager to mine new sources of humor and occasionally express some of life’s funny truths.

While I’m mentioning content, I encourage fans of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “King of the Hill” to check out the spec scripts on the [Scripts page], as I’m very proud of how those stories turned out.

This introductory intro notwithstanidng, I’ll be trying to keep new blog entries pretty short, without overloading on tedious information. I have noticed certain conventions in blogs that I will try to avoid most of the time. Those conventions being:

1-Lots of discussion of my personal beliefs. But for the record, I am pro-republican, anti-evolution, think religion should guide everything, drawing should be outlawed in Denmark, and, as of this sentence, I am passionately against attempts at sarcasm in print form.

2-Talking about banal details of my everyday life. But for the record, the last good book I read was Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice and the Socratic Way, I am enjoying Season 2 of “Battlestar Galactica”, and am a big fan of Grant Morrison and his “Seven Soldiers” series published by DC Comics.

3-Going into personal details of family life. But FTR, I am happy to have my dad back safely from France where he was skiing with his longtime male companion, Serge, while Mom stayed behind with her on-again, off-again female companion, Oprah.

Questions or comments about the site can be directed to me by [clicking here]. I don’t want to guarantee I’ll answer everyone right away, but I’ll be reading often.

I think that about does it for this first (and probably longest) blog entry. Thank you for taking the time to check it out, enjoy the site, and please visit again soon.